Chinese Tennis star Peng Shuai has insisted that she is okay and not in any danger during a video call with the IOC over the weekend.
Shuai told International Olympic Committee officials during a zoom call on Sunday that “she is okay” and their is nothing to worry about, despite continued concerns over her safety.
It’s the first appearance, from the former number one ranked doubles player, who vanished earlier this month, after she accused a former Chinese politician close to president Xi Jinping of sexual assault.
In a statement released after the call, the IOC said: “Peng Shuai thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being. She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time.”
Although the IOC have said they are satisfied Shuai is “safe and healthy”, the Women’s Tennis Association have insisted that they are still not convinced.
“It was good to see Peng Shuai in recent videos, but they don’t alleviate or address the WTA’s concern about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion,” a WTA spokesperson told ESPN.
You can find more celebrity news on our website and iOS & Android application.