HARRY and Meghan say they “stand with the people of Ukraine” in a statement issued from their £11m Montecito mansion overnight – despite failing to publicly congratulate Camilla.
The Sussexes condemned Vladimir Putin’s invasion of the sovereign nation, but have offered no comment on news the Duchess of Cornwall will become Queen Consort when Charles is king.
Meghan and Harry have issued a statement on the Russian invasion of Ukraine – despite failing to publicly congratulate Camilla or wish the Queen wellCredit: AP
The couple said they ‘stand with the people of Ukraine’
Some royal commentators claim Harry will reserve his thoughts on Camilla’s role for his bombshell memoir, due out this year.
However, it’s understood father Charles called him to tell him the news personally before the Queen announced the news during her Jubilee celebrations.
The Sussexes have previously said no source will speak for them – and they will issue official statements through Archewell, or not comment at all.
Along with the other senior royals, they have also made no comment on the Queen’s battle with Covid.
They may have called Her Majesty privately.
Royal correspondent Katie Nicholl told OK! magazine: “On a personal level, I think Harry will be very concerned for his grandmother’s health.”
Last night, the Sussexes hit out at the invasion in Ukraine.
It comes as:
They said: “Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and all of us at Archewell stand with the people of Ukraine against this breach of international and humanitarian law and encourage the global community and its leaders to do the same.”
The pair spoke out hours after Boris Johnson blasted the Russian president.
In an address to the nation, the PM said Putin cannot be allowed to “snuff out” freedom in Ukraine with an act of “wanton and reckless aggression”.
He warned “blood-stained” Putin has “unleashed war” in Europe – and said the west must respond.
“Our mission is clear,” Mr Johnson said.
“Diplomatically, politically, economically, and eventually, militarily, this hideous and barbaric venture of Vladimir Putin must end in failure.”
🔵 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates
Elsewhere, it was announced yesterday that Harry and Meghan will join other celebs at the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Awards this weekend.
They’ll receive the prestigious President’s Awards to mark their achievement for “distinguished public service”.
The duke and duchess will Muhammad Ali, Rihanna, LeBron James, Bill Clinton and Venus and Serena Williams in picking up the top gong.
It will be their first major Hollywood event since leaving the Royal Family – and comes just a year after they were stripped of their honorary titles by the Queen.
The Palace said in February 2021: “Following conversations with the Duke, the Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
But the couple then issued a statement themselves, saying: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Responding to news of their award, the Sussexes said: “It’s a true honour to be recognized by President Derrick Johnson and the NAACP, whose efforts to propel racial justice and civil rights are as vital today as they were nearly 115 years ago.
“We’re proud to support the NAACP’s work and to also partner with the organisation on the newly created annual NAACP-Archewell Digital Civil Rights Award, which will be bestowed to Dr. Safiya Noble as part of the 53rd NAACP Image Awards.”
The Sussexes will also receive a top award on Saturday, it’s been revealedCredit: Reuters